The Boy Scouts of America has selected John Clark to become the High Adventure Director/ Philmont General Manager. He will begin in the post effective May 1, 2009. John will spend the month of May working with current GM Keith Gallaway, who retires on May 31, 2009. As the High Adventure Director, John will also be responsible for the Florida Sea Base and Northern Tier. John is currently the Comptroller at Philmont, where he has been since 2002.
John is a Life Member of the Philmont Staff Association. He, and his lovely wife, Janice, are also annual supporters of the PSA, and contributed to the Capital Campaign to build the Silver Sage Staff Activity Center. Oh, and Janice is currently the PSA’s Office Manager. John and Janice have two daughters and three grandchildren, all reside in Texas.
Below is more biographical information about John. Congratulations!
John H. Clark
Graduated Jasper High School in Jasper, AR – May, 1970
Attended University of Arkansas and graduated with B.S. Degree in Recreation & Park Administration with Minor in Political Science from Arkansas Tech University in May, 1974
Project work for the National Park Service, US Forest Service, Corps of Engineers and Soil/Water Conservation Service 1971-1974
Arkansas Department of Parks & Tourism 1974-1977
Boy Scouts of America 1977-present
- District Executive Westark Area Council Nov, 1977-Dec, 1981
- District Executive Quapaw Area Council Jan, 1982- Feb, 1985
- Field Director Llano Estacado Council March, 1985-April, 1987
- Assist. Scout Exec. Golden Spread Council April, 1987-Aug, 1988
- Scout Executive, Chisholm Trail Council, Aug, 1988-April, 2002
- Comptroller, High Adventure Division, May, 2002- May 2009
- High Adventure Director/Philmont General Manager, May 2009-
Recipient of numerous Regional and National awards through BSA. Of note, Life Scout as a youth, Vigil Honor Order of the Arrow and Wood Badge.
Have been active in Kiwanis, Rotary, and NSFRE. Active in my church. Presently involved with Cimarron Maverick Club, Cimarron Ambulance Board, and Ute Park Property Owners Association.