By Lee Huckstep with Dan Miller
We’ve all heard about Scouting’s newest High Adventure facility, Summit Bechtel Reserve located near Beckley, WV, but most of us don’t know much about it. That’s going to change.
Your Philmont Staff Association and Summit management are pleased to invite PSA members and their guests to the PSA Weekend at Summit June 19 and 20, 2015. For those of you with children aged 11 years (for Summit activities) and 12 (for whitewater rafting) and up, this will be the most action-packed family weekend the PSA has ever offered.
On Friday, June 19, you’ll get your eyelids peeled back whitewater rafting on the gnarliest section of the famous New River Gorge rapids and on Saturday, June 20, you will participate in all the activities at Summit’s Action Point and get a broad sampling of the program the Summit offers. When you leave, you’ll have a good idea of what Summit is all about.
The schedule is as follows:
- Arrive in Summit area on evening of June 18 or early morning June 19.
- Whitewater rafting, all day or half day, on New River, June 19.
- For those not rafting, or only doing a half-day trip, a VIP briefing at Summit, afternoon of June 19.
- Barbecue dinner at Bufflers BBQ Grill @ Adventures on the Gorge, June 19.
- Scott Summit Center including Action Point, all day June 20. (It takes a whole day to do it all!)
- Gourmet dinner @ Smokey’s on the Gorge, June 20, 6:30 p.m. – the view is breathtaking.
- Depart June 21.
We have procured a block of 20 rooms at the nearby Holiday Lodge in Oak Hill, WV, for $74 per night for up to 4 persons per room, 2 queen beds per room. The rate includes a hot breakfast for up to 4 persons. The rate is good until June 10 and you will make your reservation directly with the hotel by asking for the Philmont Staff Association rate. Dial 888-885-5556. If this block sells out, we can likely get more rooms.
Camping, from primitive sites at $15 to wall tents to cabins is available at the nearby Adventures on the Gorge. You will make your own reservation. Dial 304-461-7851.
At the Summit Center, you will have the choice of the Visitor’s Pass ($25) or the best and most fun deal, the Action Pass ($55). You will make your choice at the Visitors Center and purchase your pass directly from the Summit on June 20.
The minimum age for Action Pass participation is 11 years old.
Whitewater rafting and meals will be purchased from the PSA. The prices are as follows:
Minimum age for rafting is 12 years old.
- Barbecue dinner at Bufflers, $26 for adults, $13 for kids under 14. This is all you can eat. Beer and wine available for additional charge.
- Gourmet dinner at Smokey’s, $36 for adults, $18 for kids under 14. This is all you can eat, with a million dollar view of the river thrown in for free. Full bar service is available for additional charge.
Lunch at Scott Summit Center on June 20 will be provided courtesy of your PSA.
The cut-off date for purchasing rafting and meals is June 13. To register, click here.
More information about rafting, Summit Center activities and the dinners will be presented in the April edition of High Country and on our website. If you cannot wait until then to find out about Summit Center activities, check out Summit’s website at http://summitbsa.org/
Summit is located near Beckley, WV, (limited air service) and 1.5 hours from Charleston, WV (good air service). There are plenty of nearby sites and activities which allow your visit to West Virginia to become a full-blown family vacation.
For further information contact:
- Dan Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lee Huckstep at email@example.com
- PSA office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (575) 376-1138
Mark your calendars now and get ready to check out Summit.