By Lee Huckstep with Dan Miller
The PSA Weekend at Summit Bechtel Reserve, June 19 and 20, 2015, offers you the most action-packed family weekend your PSA has ever provided.
On Friday, June 19, you’ll get your eyelids peeled back whitewater rafting on the gnarliest section of the famous New River Gorge rapids. You will have a choice of two rafting options:
Minimum age for rafting is 12 years old and rafting slots are purchased directly from the PSA.
On Saturday, June 20, at the Scott Summit Center, you have a choice of two options:
- Visitors Pass, $25.
- Action Pass, $55.
Minimum age for the Summit activities is 11 years old and you will purchase your passes at the Summit.
The Visitors Pass offers the following:
- Sustainability Treehouse – a five story treehouse highlighting the principles of living a sustainable lifestyle
- John Gottschalk Boardwalk and Goodrich Lake Wetlands
- Scott Visitors Center – home of the Summit Trading Post and Guest Services.
- CONSOL Energy Bridge – check out the dramatic bridge with observation decks above and below deck.
- Action Point Hiking Trail – take a walk through the scenic forest surrounding Action Point. This trail also provides a close-up view of the Jared Harvey Mountain Bike Trails, the Action Point Canopy Tours and a great view of CONSOL Energy Bridge from below
The Action Pass offers everything included in the Visitor’s Pass, and much, much more:
- Summit Center Ziplines
- Canopy Tours – series of ziplines through tree canopy
- Challenge Courses – a series of high ropes challenges to solve
- BMX Race Tracks –two BMX race tracks
- Skateboard Plaza
- Archery Range
- Tomahawk Throw
- Sporting arrows – trap shooting with bow and arrow
- Powder ball challenge – paint ball guns with powder in pellets shooting flying discs
- Harvey Mountain Bike Trails – short trails to introduce the sport of mountain biking
The Action Pass is the most fun, and best, deal. The Action Pass will keep you busy all day.
The Summit Weekend schedule is as follows:
- Arrive in Summit area on evening of June 18 or early morning June 19.
- Whitewater rafting, all day or half day, on New River, June 19.
- For those not rafting, or only doing a half-day trip, a VIP briefing at the Summit, afternoon of June 19.
- Barbecue dinner at Bufflers BBQ Grill @ Adventures on the Gorge, June 19.
- Scott Summit Center including Action Point, all day June 20. (It takes a whole day to do it all!)
- Gourmet dinner @ Smokey’s on the Gorge, June 20, 6:30 p.m. – the view is breathtaking.
- Depart June 21.
We have procured a block of 20 rooms at the nearby Holiday Lodge in Oak Hill, WV, for $74 per night for up to 4 persons per room, 2 queen beds per room. The rate includes a hot breakfast for up to 4 persons. The rate is good until June 10 and you will make your reservation directly with the hotel by asking for the Philmont Staff Association rate. Dial 888-885-5556. If this block sells out, we can likely get more rooms.
Camping, from primitive sites at $15 to wall tents to cabins is available at the nearby Adventures on the Gorge. You will make your own reservation. Dial 304-461-7851.
Saturday lunch at the Summit will be provided by your PSA, and the dinner meals available for your purchase are as follows:
- Barbecue dinner at Bufflers, $26 for adults, $13 for kids under 14. This is all you can eat. Beer and wine available for additional charge.
- Gourmet dinner at Smokey’s, $36 for adults, $18 for kids under 14. This is all you can eat, with a million dollar view of the river thrown in for free. Full bar service is available for additional charge.
The cut-off date for purchasing rafting and meals is June 13. To register, click here.
The Summit is located near Beckley, WV, (limited air service) and 1.5 hours from Charleston, WV (good air service). There are plenty of nearby sites and activities which allow your visit to West Virginia to become a full-blown family vacation.
For further information contact:
- Dan Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lee Huckstep at email@example.com
- PSA office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (575) 376-1138
Mark your calendars now and get ready to check out Summit.