Hitting the trail in...
The PSA Trek is open to all PSA members and their eligible family members. It is your best opportunity to share first-hand with your family the experience you have talked about for years and let them meet the other persons who helped make that experience so special.
And, 2017 marks the 60th Anniversary of the Philmont Ranger Department. What better way is there to celebrate that milestone than by doing the PSA Trek! Rangers and non-Rangers are welcome – this is not a closed event.
The Trek dates are July 29–August 5, 2017, and the cost is $522 per person. There is a non-refundable $25 cancellation fee for each person registered (deadline: June 1, 2017), and the Trek follows the week-long PSA Reunion at the Training Center, July 23–29, 2017. CPR and Wilderness First Aid training will be available for Trekkers during the Reunion week. Watch the High Country and on-line newsletter for Reunion details, and consider doing both.
Discounted Reunion and Trek Bundle Pricing
- The week-long 2017 PSA Reunion (July 23—29) is before the trek and costs $540
- Register for both events and pay only $800! A $262 savings. Normally $1,062
- Register for the PSA Reunion on the Philmont Training Center website
- Once registered, contact the PSA Office for your discount coupon code
- Apply coupon to summer trek purchase
Dates and Schedule
The PSA Summer Trek is July 29—August 5, 2017.
- Spend the night of Friday, July 28 in the Philmont area
- Report to the Welcome Center at 8 AM on Saturday, July 29
- Hit the trail on Sunday, July 30
- Come off the trail on Friday, August 4
- Depart Philmont Saturday, August 5
Spending the night of July 28 in the Philmont area gives your crew more flexibility in designing an itinerary, and being at the Welcome center by 8 a.m. (and no later) on July 29 will allow your crew to get through the check-in process quickly and efficiently.
Cost and EligibilityThe cost is $522 per person. Eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Be physically and mentally fit
- Be a member of the PSA or Trek-eligible family member
- Be a member of the BSA
- Have a current completed Philmont medical form
- Be 14 years old OR completed 8th grade and be at least 13 years of age prior to participation
Your doctor’s signature on your medical form is, by itself, not sufficient for Trek participation. Ask yourself: am I physically and mentally fit enough to work at Philmont? If the answer to this question is “no”, the Trek is probably not for you. If you are not physically and mentally fit, you will not enjoy the Trek and there will likely be negative impacts on your crew members, as well.
You are encouraged to bring your Trek-eligible family members. Trek-eligible family members include your spouse, child or stepchild, sibling, parent, grandparent, grandchild, niece, nephew or in-law of PSA member who meets the eligibility requirements above.
You and your family members should share Philmont and Scouting values. This includes dressing appropriately for a Scouting environment and behaving in such manner which does not have a negative impact on the experience of your crewmates and others with whom they come into contact. The PSA Trek is not the appropriate place to work out family issues: the issues will not likely be resolved and may impact negatively on your crewmates.
As always, your crew will be free to design its own itinerary, subject to the PSA’s itinerary planning guidelines. By registering early, you can form your own crew or join the crew you want and be a part of the itinerary planning fun. A crew will consist of up to 12 persons and open spaces in crews will be available to any registrant until the crew is filled. If you have a group with which you want to Trek, get them to sign up early so there will be space for all of you in the same crew.
We have 60 Trekker slots to fill. With 2017 being the 60th Anniversary of the Ranger Department, we will have no trouble selling all the slots. Don’t sit there staring at your pack because your slot will be sold and you will be left in the dust of a Philmont bus as your friends head off to their starting points.
You can register by sending your check to the PSA, 17 Deer Run Road, Cimarron, NM 87714.
If you register by mail, please include a slip of paper with the names, ages and gender of your eligible family members. This helps identify Youth Protection and tenting issues early-on. Also, if you or your eligible family members have not done the PSA Trek in the past five years, please include a description of each person’s back-packing or other strenuous activity experience during the past five years. This will assist us in getting you crewed-up with persons of similar experience and ability.
If you register on-line, we will contact you for the information described above. Please respond promptly.
Questions about the PSA Summer Trek?
- All registrations are subject to a non-refundable $25 cancellation fee.
- Cancellations prior to the post registration deadline (date below) will receive a full refund, subject to the $25 cancellation fee.
- Cancellation after the registration deadline (date below) will not receive a refund. Monies paid can be used for another PSA event prior to the end of 2018 or can be contributed to the General Fund.
- In exceptional cases, the Executive Director AND Vice President of Service can authorize full refunds for cancellation after the registration deadline.
The PSA reserves the right to deny or revoke registration where appropriate.