Registration is closed.
2012 Trek Basics – The Info You Need
Following the record breaking Silver Trek in 2011—ninety two trekkers—the 2012 trek (July 29 to August 5) will be limited to 60 trekkers. This is because the 2012 trek dates fall into a time period with high camper numbers. The 2012 trek dates were selected to allow more participation by trek-eligible youth family members since the dates are before the start of most school activities. So, in order to insure your spot and the spots of your trek-eligible youth family members register now.
If you have never been on a trek and are apprehensive about joining a group of possible strangers, don’t stress. Once you are registered, the Phacilitators will help you find a crew that meets your hiking abilities and personal goals. By planning your itinerary, selecting crew leadership and organizing your crew gear all prior to arriving at Philmont, your crew will be well on its way to becoming a trail family. You’ll fit right in.
The following is what you need to know:
You will need to spend Saturday night, July 28, in the Philmont area. You will then report to the Welcome Center at 8 a.m. on Sunday, July 29, and hit the trail on Monday, July 30. You will come off the trail on Saturday, August 4, and will leave Philmont after breakfast on Sunday, August 5. The trek cost is $420 and the eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Be a member of the PSA or trek-eligible family member.
- Be a member of the BSA.
- Have a completed Philmont medical form.
- Be 14 years old or completed 8th grade and be at least 13 years of age prior to participation.
- Be in good physical shape.
Trek-eligible Family Members
You can bring your spouse, child or stepchild, sibling, parent, grandparent, grandchild, niece, nephew or in-law who meets the eligibility requirements above.
Registration cut-off is June 15, 2012. Don’t wait until then to register though, because the trek will likely be sold out. Register online now.
- Cancellations prior to the registration deadline of June 15, 2012 will receive a full refund.
- Cancellation after the registration deadlines will not receive a refund. Monies paid can be used for another PSA or Exchange Program event (prior to the end of 2013) or can be contributed to the PSA General Fund.
- In exceptional cases, the Executive Director and Vice President of Service can authorize full refunds for cancellation after the registration deadline.
Further informative messages about the trek will be sent via the PSA electronic newsletter. If you are not receiving the newsletter, subscribe now to be placed on the mailing list. You won’t want to miss out on these informative messages.