In addition to adrenaline pumping whitewater and a full day of activities at the Summit’s Action Point, the PSA Weekend at the Summit, June 19 and 20, offers the opportunity to share great food and drink with your PSA friends and their guests.
On Friday, June 19, you will enjoy a barbecue dinner at Bufflers. The menu is a combination of the following items daily: BBQ ribs, pulled pork, beef brisket, roasted chicken, baked beans, corn on the cob, green beans, mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, mac n’ cheese, corn bread, tossed salad, cobbler and non-alcoholic drinks. The cost is $26 for adults, $13 for kids under 14. This is all you can eat. Beer and wine is available for additional charge.
On Saturday, June 20, we offer a gourmet buffet dinner at Smokey’s. The menu will include four entrees (beef, pork, poultry, seafood) two starches, two vegetables, signature salad bar, fresh rolls, assorted desserts, and non-alcoholic drinks. The cost is $36 for adults, $18 for kids under 14. This is also all you can eat, with a million dollar view of the New River thrown in for free. Full bar service is available for additional charge.
Both of these venues are at Adventures on the Gorge, an upscale—but very family oriented resort—located just a few easy miles up the road from the Holiday Lodge Hotel, where we have procured a block of rooms. (See below.)
Lunch at Scott Summit Center on June 20 will be provided courtesy of your PSA.
The PSA Weekend at the Summit is open to PSA members and their guests. Your family members and guests do not have to be BSA members, so this is a great opportunity for you to show off Scouting’s newest high adventure base to non-Scouters. The only requirement is that children be aged 11 years (for Summit activities) and 12 (for whitewater rafting). Your guests and age-eligible children can bring their children and friends for a weekend they will never forget.
The schedule is as follows:
- Arrive in Summit area on evening of June 18 or early morning June 19.
- Whitewater rafting, all day or half day, on New River, June 19.
- For those not rafting, or only doing a half-day trip, a VIP briefing at the Summit, afternoon of June 19.
- Barbecue dinner at Bufflers BBQ Grill @ Adventures on the Gorge, June 19, 6:30 PM
- Scott Summit Center including Action Point, all day June 20. (It takes a whole day to do it all!)
- Gourmet dinner @ Smokey’s on the Gorge, June 20, 6:30 PM
- Depart June 21.
We have procured a block of 20 rooms at the nearby Holiday Lodge in Oak Hill, WV, for $74 per night for up to 4 persons per room, 2 queen beds per room. The rate includes a hot breakfast for up to 4 persons. The rate is good until June 10 and you will make your reservation directly with the hotel by asking for the Philmont Staff Association rate. Dial 888-885-5556. If this block sells out, we can likely get more rooms.
Camping, from primitive sites at $15 to wall tents to cabins is available at the nearby Adventures on the Gorge. You will make your own reservation. Dial 304-461-7851.
At the Summit Center, you will have the choice of the Visitor’s Pass ($25) or the best and most fun deal, the Action Pass ($55). You will make your choice at the Visitors Center and purchase your pass directly from the Summit on June 20.
In addition to meals, whitewater rafting will be purchased from the PSA. The prices are as follows:
- Barbecue dinner at Bufflers, $26 for adults, $13 for kids under 14. This is all you can eat. Beer and wine available for additional charge.
- Gourmet dinner at Smokey’s, $36 for adults, $18 for kids under 14. This is all you can eat, with a million dollar view of the river thrown in for free. Full bar service is available for additional charge.
The Summit is located near Beckley, WV, (limited air service) and 1.5 hours from Charleston, WV (good air service). There are plenty of nearby sites and activities which allow your visit to West Virginia to become a full-blown family vacation.
For further information contact:
- Dan Miller at [email protected]
- Lee Huckstep at [email protected]
- PSA office at [email protected] or (575) 376-1138
Mark your calendars now and get ready to check out Summit.