The PSA Summer Trek: An Enduring Tradition
Dates and Schedule
The PSA Summer Trek is July 10–17, 2016.
- Spend the night of Saturday, July 9 in the Philmont area
- Report to the Welcome Center at 8 AM on Sunday, July 10
- Hit the trail on Monday, July 11
- Come off the trail on Saturday, July 16
- Depart Philmont Sunday, July 17
Cost and Eligibility
The cost is $515 per person. Eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Be physically and mentally fit
- Be a member of the PSA or Trek-eligible family member
- Be a member of the BSA
- Have a current completed Philmont medical form
- Be 14 years old OR completed 8th grade and be at least 13 years of age prior to participation
Your doctor’s approval and signature on your medical form are alone not enough clearance for trek participation. Ask yourself: am I physically and mentally fit enough to work at Philmont? If the answer to this question is “no”, the Trek is probably not for you. If you are not physically and mentally fit, you will not enjoy the Trek and there will likely be negative impacts on your crew members, as well. You are encouraged to bring your Trek-eligible family members. Trek-eligible family members include your spouse, child or stepchild, sibling, parent, grandparent, grandchild, niece, nephew or in-law of PSA member who meets the eligibility requirements above.
We have 60 Trekker slots to fill. We have had no trouble filling these slots (and more) in past years and in 2016 we will fill them all. Don’t dawdle and wait, because your slot will be sold and you will be left weeping at the Welcome Center as your friends head to the bus drop-off points.
As always, your crew will be free to design its own itinerary, subject to the PSA’s itinerary planning guidelines. By registering early, you can form your own crew or join the crew you want– before it fills up – and be a part of the itinerary planning fun. And with information requested above about your past backpacking and strenuous activity experience, we can help you find the right crew.
Registration cut-off is June 6, 2016.
Questions about the PSA Summer Trek?
- All registrations are subject to a non-refundable $25 cancellation fee.
- Cancellations prior to the posted registration deadline (date below) will receive a full refund, subject to the $25 cancellation fee.
- Cancellation after the registration deadline will not receive a refund. Monies paid can be used for another PSA event prior to the end of 2019 or can be contributed to the General Fund.
- In exceptional cases, the Executive Director AND Vice President of Service can authorize full refunds for cancellation after the registration deadline.
The PSA reserves the right to deny or revoke registration where appropriate.