2016 PSA Trek: Wilderness First Aid Certification
Philmont requires that all crews have at least two participants, (adult or youth) in each crew who are currently certified in Wilderness First Aid or the equivalent and CPR from the American Heart Association, the American Red Cross or the equivalent.
Getting certified in Wilderness First Aid can be a challenge—it is sometimes hard to find an available course. Visit your council service center for more information about when your council will be offering Wilderness First Aid instruction. Do this soon because some councils do it early in the year and these classes fill quickly. If your council does not offer this instruction, call your local Red Cross to see if the course is being offered.
If that does not work, equivalent training can be obtained from the following nationally-recognized organizations:
- American Red Cross
- American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI)
- Emergency Care and Safety Institute – Wilderness First Aid Advanced Level Course
- Longleaf Wilderness Medicine
- National Safety Council – NCS Advanced First Aid
- National Ski Patrol – Outdoor Emergency Care
- Remote Medical International
- Sierra Rescue SOLO
- The Mountaineers – Mountaineering Oriented First Aid
- Wilderness Medical Associates (WMA)
- Wilderness Medicine Institute (WMI)
- Wilderness Medicine Outfitters – (Distance Learning Course does not qualify)
- Wilderness Medicine Training Center
- Wilderness Safety Council
- Wilderness Safety & Emergency Response (W.I.S.E.R.)
In lieu of Wilderness First Aid and CPR training, Philmont will accept the following advanced levels of training. A copy of the current license or certification must be shared with Philmont during the registration process:
- Wilderness First Responder
- Outdoor Emergency Care
- EMT Basic, Intermediate or Paramedic
- Military Corpsman or Medic
- Registered Nurse
- Licensed Nurse Practitioner
- Licensed Physician’s Assistant
- Licensed Physician, MD or DO
Questions about the PSA Summer Trek?
- All registrations are subject to a non-refundable $25 cancellation fee.
- Cancellations prior to the post registration deadline (date below) will receive a full refund, subject to the $25 cancellation fee.
- Cancellation after the registration deadline will not receive a refund. Monies paid can be used for another PSA event prior to the end of 2019 or can be contributed to the General Fund.
- In exceptional cases, the Executive Director AND Vice President of Service can authorize full refunds for cancellation after the registration deadline.
The PSA reserves the right to deny or revoke registration where appropriate.