2017 Volunteer Vacation
Last year, the very first PSA Volunteer Vacation sold out within 2 hours of opening registration. Those lucky participants experienced a fantastic week in the backcountry, hard physical work, and the ultimate satisfaction of giving back to Philmont.
Your Philmont Staff Association and Philmont Scout Ranch are pleased to again offer this opportunity in 2017. The dates are September 16 to 23, 2017. The cost is still only $210. Registration deadline is August 15th, 2017. Please see the Registration and Cancellation Policies at the end of this article.
Carrying On in 2017
The work in 2017 will continue what was started last year. Volunteers will proceed with the construction of a new spur trail off the Sawmill and Thunder Ridge trail connecting the new Whistle Punk trail camp to the top of Cimarroncito Peak. Eventually this trail will go to Cypher’s Mine, providing a route through a seldom used part of Philmont. There has never been a trail to Cito Peak. Your work will be instrumental in making this happen.
The entire 2017 Volunteer Vacation program will be very similar to 2016’s, but only better, based on the feedback received from the first-year participants. If you missed the recent summary article in the December High Country magazine, you can read it here.
What did the 2016 participants have to say about Volunteer Vacation? “Extremely hard work!” “A very satisfying experience.” “Trail building at 10,000 feet was much more difficult and physically taxing than anticipated.” “Perhaps the best Philmont event ever.” “I hope to do it again next year.”
This program is available to PSA members and their eligible family members. The minimum age is 16 years by date of participation. Trek-eligible family members include your spouse, child or stepchild, sibling, parent, grandparent, grandchild, niece, nephew or in-law of the PSA member. Please do not register anyone who does not meet these requirements.
If females under the age of 21 years are registered, we will attempt to make accommodation for Youth Protection requirements. If we cannot meet Youth Protection requirements (having a female over 21 participate) we will return the entire registration fee.
The full Philmont medical form will be required – the same seven-page form required for Trekkers. Please note, just because your doctor certifies you, it does not mean this program is for you. Volunteer Vacation requires hard work, long hours, a good crew spirit, backpacking ability and a sense of humor. This program is not leisurely and is not for those who are afraid of sore muscles, getting dirty, and who cannot maintain a great attitude when the going gets tough. The PSA reserves the right to return the entire registration fee of any person who would be inappropriate for this program.
Volunteer Vacation Schedule
Saturday, September 16
Sunday, September 17
Monday-Wednesday, September 18-20
Thursday, September 21
Friday, September 22
Saturday, September 23
What will we eat?
Will we need to carry a full back pack?
Will it be cold?
Where is Whistle Punk?
What does Whistle Punk mean?
What happens if twenty persons register before me?
Email us if you have further questions
- Available slots (see below) will be filled in the order that registrations are received.
- The preferred method of registration is electronic at https://www.philstaff.org/.
- The slots will be filled according to the date and time an electronic registration is received. If registering by mail, the date and time of receipt by the PSA office. If you call in your credit card information, the date and time of that call.
- Postmarks or dial-in registrations prior to the opening date and time (see below) will not be accepted.
2019 Volunteer Vacation registration opens at noon Mountain Time on March 1, 2019. 24 slots will be available upon opening.
- All registrations are subject to a non-refundable $25 cancellation fee.
- Cancellations prior to the posted registration deadline (date below) will receive a full refund, subject to the $25 cancellation fee.
- Cancellation after the registration deadline will not receive a refund. Monies paid can be used for another PSA event prior to the end of the year following the scheduled event or can be contributed to the General Fund.
- In exceptional cases, the Executive Director AND Vice President of Service can authorize full refunds for cancellation after the registration deadline.
The PSA reserves the right to deny or revoke registration where appropriate.
Registration deadline: August 15, 2019.