2020 Autumn Adventure Trek
(registration opens April 1st at noon Mountain)
By Steven and Cynthia Truemper
See Philmont from a different perspective than the hustle and bustle of the summer that you experienced while being on staff, enjoy the stillness and serenity of the Philmont backcountry, backpack through the golden aspens and listen for bugling elk. Join the PSA this October for the Thirteenth Annual PSA Autumn Adventure Trek. The backcountry camps have already gathered so the program will consist of hiking, sightseeing and fellowship.
Trek dates are October 11–17, 2020, and the cost is $375 per person. Optional one-day early arrival for an additional $25. Payments are made directly to Philmont Scout Ranch (not the PSA) by check or money order. Canvas tents are provided for the night before and the night after the trek.
- Saturday – optional meet and greet, 7 PM
- Sunday – report to the Welcome Center at 9 AM, Basecamp checkout and hit the trail or head to crew-choice backcountry base-camp
- Friday – return from trail
- Saturday – depart Philmont
- The base-camp session is still a backcountry experience and participants will be in the backcountry for the duration of their trip. All gear and medical forms must be within Philmont’s backcountry guidelines.
- Although crews will set up at camp, the facilities and amenities of that camp will not be accessible. All water and gas lines are off for the season and cabins are locked.
Cost and Eligibility
- $375 (with optional one-day early arrival fee of $25)
- Be physically and mentally fit
- Be a member of the PSA or trek-eligible family member
- Be a member of the BSA; provide your BSA# during check-out or within 30 days of registration of this service project.
- Have a completed Philmont medical form
- Be 14 years old OR completed 8th grade and be at least 13 years of age prior to participation
- The PSA Autumn Adventure Trek allows you to bring friends and family members who meet the eligibility requirements listed above
Trek Space and Base-camping
This year we’ll have three crews with up to 14 people each for a total of 42 slots. You can choose regular trek (2 crews) or to base-camp (1 crew) at a backcountry camp of the crew’s choice from either Clark’s Fork, Crater Lake, Miners’ Park, Carson Meadows, Urraca, Ponil, Pueblano, or Head of Dean.
Special Award Patch
Persons completing the Autumn Adventure Trek will receive a special award patch. It must be earned; it cannot be purchased.
Registration cut-off is Monday September 7th, 2020.
Questions about the PSA Autumn Adventure?
PSA Registration; Philmont Payment and Refunds
- Register here on the PSA website, but…
- Payment is made directly to Philmont, not the PSA (address below)
- Philmont accepts checks only, no credit cards or PayPal
- Make check payable to: “Philmont Scout Ranch”
- In the memo, please write: "PSA Autumn Adventure", “PSA Volunteer Vacation”, "PSA Autumn Adventure" or whatever your event name is.
- Philmont’s refund policy: ALL FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE. THEY CANNOT BE APPLIED TO FUTURE PSA TREKS OR EVENTS. Emergency situations will be handled by Philmont (not the PSA) on an individual basis.
Send check to this address:
Philmont Scout Ranch
17 Deer Run Road
Cimarron, NM 87714
The PSA reserves the right to deny or revoke registration where appropriate.
Cancellation date: Monday, September 7th, 20209.