2020 PSA Cavalcade
Enjoy pioneering a new autumn program!
Philmont and the PSA are offering registration for fall cavalcades in 2020. Experience the beauty of Philmont from the back of a horse. Riding experience is helpful but not required; we can teach you all you need to know to have a novel experience in the Philmont backcountry. Backcountry camps will have already gathered, so the program will consist of riding, hiking, sightseeing, and fellowship.
PSA Cavalcade dates are September 25–29. The cost is $500 per person.
- Friday: Arrive at Camping Registration no earlier than 1:00 PM and no later than 3:00 PM. Check in and complete health recheck. Afterward, Cattle HQ orientation before dinner at PTC
- Saturday: Report to the Cattle Headquarters at 8 AM, saddle, and hit the trail
- Monday: Return from the trail
- Tuesday: Depart Philmont
Basecamp tents are available for the night before and the night after the trail.
- Weigh 200 lbs or less
- Be physically and mentally fit
- Be a member of the PSA or trek-eligible family member
- Be a member of the BSA
- Have a completed Philmont medical form
- Be 14 years old OR completed 8th grade and be at least 13 years of age prior to participation
Possible Cavalcade Itineraries
- Drop off at Rayado
- Night 1: Abreu
- Night 2: Crater Lake
- Ride out of Cattle HQ
- Night 1: Miner’s Park
- Day hike Tooth of Time while riding over Shaffer’s Pass
- Night 2: Clark’s Fork
- Drop off at Ponil
- Night 1: Pueblano (side ride up Wilson Mesa?)
- Night 2: Santa Claus? HOD? Longer days?
- Drop off at Ponil
- Night 1: Indian Writings
- Night 2: Metcalf Station
Space and Payment
There will be 10 trekker slots available, don’t wait to register or it will be too late!
The PSA Autumn Cavalcade Trek allows you to bring friends and family members who meet the eligibility requirements listed above.
If you register for multiple spots (you + family member(s)), please be sure to includes the names, ages, and their relationship to you in the notes section of the check-out screen.
Saturday August 15th, 2020.
PSA Registration; Philmont Payment and Refunds
- Register here on the PSA website, but…
- Payment is made directly to Philmont
- Philmont accepts checks only, no credit cards or PayPal
- Philmont’s policy: ALL FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE. THEY CANNOT BE APPLIED TO FUTURE PSA TREKS and EVENTS. Emergency situations will be handled by Philmont on an individual basis
- Make check payable to: “Philmont Scout Ranch”
- In the memo, please write: "725-PSA 2021", "PSA Autumn Adventure", “PSA Volunteer Vacation”, "PSA Cavalcade", "PSA PhilBreak", or whatever your event name is.
Send check to this address:
Philmont Scout Ranch
17 Deer Run Road
Cimarron, NM 87714
The PSA reserves the right to deny or revoke registration where appropriate.