Register an adult (12 and up) for $100 or a child (5-11) for $30 online. Children 4 and younger are free.
The summer of 1965 was one that left its mark on Philmont history. The June flood washed away Fish Camp and wrecked the Rayado Canyon. There are many heroic tales as a result of this natural disaster. Come to the Philmont Training Center for the PSA’s summer reunion to meet some of the 1965 staff and hear their stories as we commemorate 50 years since that epic summer.
The Philmont Staff Association’s 2015 Summer Reunion will be held on the weekend of July 10-12 at the Philmont Training Center (PTC). You and your family are invited to participate in a weekend of activities, service, fellowship, and sharing memories. The Philmont Training Center is the perfect venue for our reunion. The facilities at PTC are first class. Tents are large two-person wall canvas on wooden or concrete floors with electricity, lighting, a wardrobe, and two twin beds. Each tent city has restrooms and family shower houses with hot water. There is also a Laundromat on the PTC campus. So, bring the family to the reunion as part of your summer vacation.
Some of the activities for the weekend include: day hikes (including the Tooth of Time), a conservation service project, campfire programs, tours of the Villa Philmonte, talks from members of the 1965 staff about the flood, and the Silent Auction. The Philmont Museum will be open and a “must see” on your weekend agenda. There will also be a reception for 1965 Rangers, hosted by Denny Dubois.
The Rabbi Zeke Palnick Porch Talk and ice cream social will be on Friday evening. The PSA’s Annual Business Meeting will be on the schedule during the weekend, too. The Philmont Training Center staff will offer programs for children as part of the reunion. There will be pony rides, shooting sports, crafts, games, and more for our future Philstaffers to do while adults participate in other activities.
Registration fees for the reunion are: $100 per adult and youth ages 12 and older, and $30 per child up to age 12. This is the best value available to experience Philmont, our HOmE. Check-in will begin on Friday at 1:00pm. There will be activities available to participants on Friday afternoon. So, plan to arrive Friday early afternoon.
Support Seasonal Staff Scholarships!
Saturday, July 11.
During the PSA reunion, we hold a silent auction to raise money in support of Seasonal Staff Scholarships. It’s a lot of fun and we get to send you home with some wonderful mementos of your time spent at Philmont.
We’re asking each PSA reunion and trek participant (or family) to bring something for the auction. In fact, all members are invited to donate something to our auction even if you are not attending the summer activities at Philmont. It doesn’t have to be anything big. Just bring something if you can! Below are some general guidelines, but don’t let these stifle your creativity.
- It can be new or used, as long as it’s in good condition. For example, if your “friend” doesn’t ever get around to using that perfectly good backpack he has, donate it! Or, if you’re still a gear geek who has to have the newest stuff, even though the old stuff it still perfectly usable, donate the old stuff and you’ll finally be able to rationalize buying the new.
- It can be worth 50 cents, $5.00 or $500.00, and anything over, under and in-between.
- You can ask for donations from area merchants and organizations. Please feel free to show them this letter and have the merchant or organization contact Randy Saunders at 575-376-1138 if they want more information about the organization. Also, have them call Randy if they want the PSA’s charitable organization tax ID number or a copy of the letter.
- Many people have the best luck asking for donations from their place of employment. Many of you probably work for companies that produce some sort of product. Employers are often willing to make donations to organizations close to the hearts of their employees.
- Show us your talent! If you’re an artist, bring or send a piece of your work. Few things are as special as something you’ve created. It’s wonderful to see how talented our Philmont alumni are!
If you have an item to donate, please send it as soon as possible to:
Philmont Staff Association
17 Deer Run Road
Cimarron NM 87714
It would be great to have it ahead of time so we can prepare a silent auction bid sheet for the item, but if you can’t please bring it with you when you check in for the reunion.
The Silent Auction will take place on Friday, July 11th.
Main | First Aid Reqs | Itinerary Planning | Register
Philmont now requires that all crews have at least two participants, (adult or youth) in each crew who are currently certified in Wilderness First Aid or the equivalent and CPR from the American Heart Association, the American Red Cross or the equivalent. (The requirement of two certified persons was relaxed in 2014, but not in 2015.)
Getting certified in Wilderness First Aid can be a challenge – it is sometimes hard to find an available course. Visit your council service center for more information about when your council will be offering Wilderness First Aid instruction. Do this soon because some councils do it early in the year and these classes fill quickly. If your council does not offer this instruction, call your local Red Cross to see if the course is being offered.
If that does not work, equivalent training can be obtained from the following nationally-recognized organizations:
In lieu of Wilderness First Aid and CPR training, Philmont will accept the following advance levels of training. A copy of the current license or certification must be shared with Philmont during the registration process:
- Wilderness First Responder
- Outdoor Emergency Care
- EMT Basic, Intermediate, or Paramedic
- Military Corpsman or Medic
- Registered Nurse
- Licensed Nurse Practitioner
- Licensed Physician’s Assistant
- Licensed Physician, MD or DO
Full trek details.
For further information contact:
Doug Latimer at [email protected]
Dave Romack at [email protected]
Lee Huckstep at [email protected]
Our standard terms and conditions apply. Cancellation policy:
- Cancellation prior to the registration deadline of June 1, 2015 will receive a full refund.
- Cancellation after the registration deadline will not receive a refund. Monies paid can be used for another PSA or Exchange Program event prior to the end of 2016 or can be contributed to the general fund of the cancelling participant’s association.
- In exceptional cases, the Executive Director AND Vice President of Service of the PSA can authorize full refunds for cancellation after the registration deadline.