Egret photo courtesy of Wesley Hetrick.
Saturday, January 30th from 10:00am until 3:00pm
Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park
The 22,000-acre park features hiking and bicycle trails, a visitor’s center and observation tower, a boat ramp to 300-acre Lake Wauberg, RV and tent camping areas, wildlife viewing, and even bison.
PSA members and Philmont staff, past and present, and their guests and families.
What to Bring
A pot luck dish, photo albums, and stories! Plates, napkins, and drinks will be supplied, as will a laptop with screen to share your digital photos from a flash drive.
Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park is located 10 miles south of Gainesville, in Micanopy, on the east side of US 441.
- From I-75 take exit 374 (Micanopy exit) and turn east onto CR 234.
- Stay on this road 1.4 miles until it intersects with US 441.
- Turn left onto 441 and go 0.6 miles to Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park (on the right).
Park admission is $6 per vehicle for 2 to 8 persons and $4 for single occupants. We will meet at Picnic Pavilion 2, which has tables and is convenient to restrooms, a roofed multi-grill cooking shed, trails, the campground, and a playground. More information about RV and full-facility tent camping is available here:
Contact the park at 352-466-3397 for more information about primitive tent camping
Please RSVP to Susan and Randall MacDonald at [email protected]
The Philmont Staff Association continues its tradition of gathering at the Boy Scouts of America National Meeting this May in Atlanta, GA.
All PSA members and Philmont staff, past and present, are invited to come together, share their experiences and make new acquaintances on Thursday, May 21, 2015, from 5:00pm to 6:00pm, at the Hyatt Regency Atlanta, host of the BSA Meeting. The reception will be in the International South Ballroom.
The Boy Scouts of America will be recognizing the career service of retiring Philmont General Manager John Clark at our gathering.
Immediately following the PSA reception, the Summit Bechtel Reserve Staff Association will host their first event, at the same location, 6:00pm to 7:00pm. You are invited to attend.
The Hyatt Regency Atlanta is located at 265 Peachtree Street NE
Please RSVP to Randy Saunders at the PSA Office at 575-376-1138 or [email protected]
The 2015 North Texas PSA Reunion is a fund raiser to provide PSA Staff Scholarship Funds so our finest Scouts can help bring that treasured Philmont experience to every 2015 attendee.
Date: Saturday, May 30th, 2015
Location: St Francis Church Family Life Center
Address: 861 Wildwood Lane, Grapevine, TX
To give you an idea about our plans May 30th, we are designing a fun event for Philmont Staffers, their families, members of 2015 Philmont contingents or anyone who has ever dreamed Philmont:
- OA Trail Crew 20th Anniversary PSA Patch Sets approved by PSA Director Randy Saunders and Philmont. Sales benefit Staff Scholarship Fund. There are only 30 full sets of 5 patches @ $35 each with all funds over cost benefiting Staff Scholarship funds. If you can’t make it to our PSA North Texas Reunion, a black border OA Trail Crew 20th Anniversary PSA patch is available for $4 each. Please email John Ryan at [email protected] for more info on our 2015 special issue patches.
- Philmont Memorabilia and Philmont Contingent Patch Displays
- PSA Reunion Luncheon 11:30am (Benefiting PSA Staff Scholarships). All luncheon purchases receive red border OA Trail Crew 20th Anniversary PSA patch.
- A FREE Collectible patch for every Scout under 18 attending May 30th
- Youth Auction FREE Patch giveaway. Your Scout (under 18) can learn about our shared heritage, learn about value and learn about patch trading rules … and then we giveaway 400 + patches in a game
- Scouts Only (18 and under) 1 For 1 Trading Table. All Scouts can bring their own patches, and if they see something on the table they want, they can put one of their patches on the table for one patch they want from the table.
- PSA Members and/or Groups. We have a few side rooms we can dedicate to specific Philmont Alumni who would like to meet as a group. A purple border OA Trail Crew 20th Anniversary PSA patch is available for PSA members. Please contact John Ryan for patch availability.
There are still a few activities we are working on to make this an enjoyable time for you so we hope you mark it on your calendars to swing by Saturday May 30th
For more information on the PSA Reunion schedule, availability for the PSA Staff Scholarship Patches, or the activities available for PSA members, Contact PSA Reunion Host John Corpany [email protected]. For info on the Lone Star Trade O Ree weekend activities, contact John Ryan [email protected] Take a moment and email us so we can send you our newsletter regarding any new developments for our reunion weekend.
Note: The 2015 North Texas PSA Reunion is part of a weekend event called the Lone Star Trade O Ree. This fund raiser event began in 1988 as a fund raiser to help OA Scouts, who would not normally be able to go to Philmont, see their dream become reality. Through the years, our annual fund raising event has helped Scouts from 20 Troops, 3 Scout Councils and 2 Countries experience Philmont on a Trek, Cavalcade, Kanik adventure or provide a program for the NCCS Conference at the Philmont Training Center. The Staff of the annual Lone Star Trade O Ree are proud to join efforts with the Philmont Staff Association to provide Staff Scholarship Funds.
By Lee Huckstep with Dan Miller
The PSA Weekend at Summit Bechtel Reserve, June 19 and 20, 2015, offers you the most action-packed family weekend your PSA has ever provided.
On Friday, June 19, you’ll get your eyelids peeled back whitewater rafting on the gnarliest section of the famous New River Gorge rapids. You will have a choice of two rafting options:
Minimum age for rafting is 12 years old and rafting slots are purchased directly from the PSA.
On Saturday, June 20, at the Scott Summit Center, you have a choice of two options:
- Visitors Pass, $25.
- Action Pass, $55.
Minimum age for the Summit activities is 11 years old and you will purchase your passes at the Summit.
The Visitors Pass offers the following:
- Sustainability Treehouse – a five story treehouse highlighting the principles of living a sustainable lifestyle
- John Gottschalk Boardwalk and Goodrich Lake Wetlands
- Scott Visitors Center – home of the Summit Trading Post and Guest Services.
- CONSOL Energy Bridge – check out the dramatic bridge with observation decks above and below deck.
- Action Point Hiking Trail – take a walk through the scenic forest surrounding Action Point. This trail also provides a close-up view of the Jared Harvey Mountain Bike Trails, the Action Point Canopy Tours and a great view of CONSOL Energy Bridge from below
The Action Pass offers everything included in the Visitor’s Pass, and much, much more:
- Summit Center Ziplines
- Canopy Tours – series of ziplines through tree canopy
- Challenge Courses – a series of high ropes challenges to solve
- BMX Race Tracks –two BMX race tracks
- Skateboard Plaza
- Archery Range
- Tomahawk Throw
- Sporting arrows – trap shooting with bow and arrow
- Powder ball challenge – paint ball guns with powder in pellets shooting flying discs
- Harvey Mountain Bike Trails – short trails to introduce the sport of mountain biking
The Action Pass is the most fun, and best, deal. The Action Pass will keep you busy all day.
The Summit Weekend schedule is as follows:
- Arrive in Summit area on evening of June 18 or early morning June 19.
- Whitewater rafting, all day or half day, on New River, June 19.
- For those not rafting, or only doing a half-day trip, a VIP briefing at the Summit, afternoon of June 19.
- Barbecue dinner at Bufflers BBQ Grill @ Adventures on the Gorge, June 19.
- Scott Summit Center including Action Point, all day June 20. (It takes a whole day to do it all!)
- Gourmet dinner @ Smokey’s on the Gorge, June 20, 6:30 p.m. – the view is breathtaking.
- Depart June 21.
We have procured a block of 20 rooms at the nearby Holiday Lodge in Oak Hill, WV, for $74 per night for up to 4 persons per room, 2 queen beds per room. The rate includes a hot breakfast for up to 4 persons. The rate is good until June 10 and you will make your reservation directly with the hotel by asking for the Philmont Staff Association rate. Dial 888-885-5556. If this block sells out, we can likely get more rooms.
Camping, from primitive sites at $15 to wall tents to cabins is available at the nearby Adventures on the Gorge. You will make your own reservation. Dial 304-461-7851.
Saturday lunch at the Summit will be provided by your PSA, and the dinner meals available for your purchase are as follows:
The cut-off date for purchasing rafting and meals is June 13. To register, click here.
The Summit is located near Beckley, WV, (limited air service) and 1.5 hours from Charleston, WV (good air service). There are plenty of nearby sites and activities which allow your visit to West Virginia to become a full-blown family vacation.
For further information contact:
Mark your calendars now and get ready to check out Summit.