Philmont Staff Association Office Manager
Full time position
40 hours per week
14 days paid vacation
*Summer months’ rotating weekends with other staff, pending on scheduled events
Office Manager responsibilities include, but are not limited to…
- In the office duties. Work with the PSA year-round to maintain office hours. Duties in the PSA office include: greeting visitors, selling merchandise, answering phone calls, membership data entry, handling and entering donations and assisting in putting together mailings. Learn how to use Raisers Edge database. This will allow you to access information for a member, update address and email, and query specific groups.
- Membership services. Oversee the administration of all membership services which include: membership queries, mail-merge and monthly renewal mail-outs, membership payments and collection of membership dues. Also, handles daily phone calls, answers membership questions and recruiting of new members for the PSA.
- Assist with events hosted by the PSA. Duties will include: assist with registration, coordinating weekend activities, and promoting reunion events to Philmont summer staff.
- Summer projects at Philmont. This position will have the opportunity to work five days per week in the office and occasionally out of the office, pending on the week’s events and scheduling of days off with seasonal staff. Examples of out of the office, are but not limited to – Staff Opening Banquet, Staff Activity events such as Bratwurst Day, Salsa Night, open mic music nights, Reunion activities, etc. Also help where needed on Ranch such as Ranch Committee or other special events that might need assistance.
- Out of the office. Assist with marketing and promoting the Philmont Staff Association (PSA) as a membership opportunity to Philmont summer staff and PTC faculty. This includes creating materials to be used for recruiting, maintaining a promotional presence at the Staff Activity Center, Staff Dining Hall, PTC Staff Dining Hall, and PTC Staff Lounge, Backcountry and visiting staff departments throughout Philmont.
Other job duties include, but are not limited to…
- Assistance with PSA treks check in, registration and administrative duties.
- Process all education scholarship applications, letters and notifications.
- Meeting with PSA Board and Executive Committee members.
- Other duties assigned by the Executive Director and must live within 45 miles of Philmont Scout Ranch.
Graduation from an accredited high school/GED program required. Associate and/or Bachelor’s degree preferred. Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions, organize and process work and establish and maintain effective working relationship with other PSA and Philmont employees and the general public. Must be familiar with working on a computer/desktop with programs such as Word, Excel, Microsoft Office and data-entry skills. Must be able to operate a copy machine, phone lines, printers and other office equipment. May require prolonged walking, standing, sitting, climbing or bending, and ability to lift and carry up to 25 lbs. unassisted.
How to apply
Submit resume, proof of accreditation, or degree if applicable, letter of intent and three references with phone numbers of non-related individuals.
Email all job materials to Dollie O’Neill, Executive Director of the PSA, by January 2nd, 2020.
Subject line: PSA Office Manager Position ([email protected]).
Salary is negotiable based on experience and skills. No health benefits provided.
This could be your office, and this could be the view out your office window.
Read our open letter about the vacated position, submission timeline and application address.
The Executive Director position description from The Philmont Staff Association bylaws…
G. EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
1. Qualifications and Selection
The Board of Directors will determine the qualifications for, and the process to select, an Executive Director. The Board shall review the Executive Director’s performance and compensation at least annually.
2. Duties and Responsibilities
Generally, the duties and responsibilities of the Executive Director are to:
a. direct the daily activities of the Association, including managing its day-to-day financial operations, overseeing all aspects of membership services, assist in coordination of special events and projects, and supervise other Association employees in accomplishing these tasks;
b. provide administrative support to the Board and the Association’s committees;
c. provide direction and assistance for all of the Association’s published materials, including the Association’s newsletter and website, membership directory, brochures and mailings to members;
d. serve as an associate editor of the Association’s newsletter and provide assistance to the editor in ensuring timely publication at least bi-monthly;
e. be responsible for ordering and inventorying all merchandise related to the Association;
f. consider the needs and desires of the membership while working to ensure that any transactions fall within both the operating budget and the annual operating plan;
g. support, contribute to, and help to implement the Association’s long range strategic plan;
h. support and help fundraising efforts;
i. serve as ambassador of the PSA to current and potential members, donors, Philmont, the local community, and the Boy Scouts of America;
j. other duties as may be delegated by the Board or specified by contract.
3. Reporting and Direction
The Executive Director reports to the President while also taking direction from the Board and the Executive Committee.
An Open Letter to Members of the Philmont Staff Association
The Board of Directors of the Philmont Staff Association has accepted with regret the resignation of PSA Executive Director, Randy Saunders. Randy has been offered a position in Albuquerque, where his wife and family reside—and we understand the attraction of such a position. While the Board regrets the loss of such an outstanding and dedicated professional who has served us well since 2007, we support his family decision. Randy will remain with us through the month of January 2016 and Dollie O’Neill will serve as interim director of the association until the search is completed and a finalist selected.
Attached with this letter is a copy of the relevant section of the PSA By-Laws which defines the duties of the Executive Director. This is the job description which will guide the Personnel Committee, and eventually the Board of Directors, in selecting our next Executive Director. Salary is commensurate with comparable employment positions with the BSA. The Executive Director is expected to reside in the Philmont area. The committee has decided on the following timeline for that selection process:
Jan 15 Position is advertised online and in electronic mailing to PSA members.
Feb 15 Letters of application together with appropriate resume and list of not more than three references due to John Murphy at the address below.
Feb 15 Consideration of applications begins and continues until Mar 15.
Mar 16 Board of Directors meets by conference call to receive recommendations from Personnel Committee.
Mar 17 Announcement of next Executive Director.
Apr 16 New Executive Director begins duties at Ranch.
The Personnel Committee understands that extraordinary circumstances may warrant departure from this schedule, but it anticipates no such circumstances at the present time. Candidates, or persons who wish to nominate others for possible consideration, are therefore advised to be attentive to deadlines.
Applications should be directed to:
John Murphy, PSA
6647 Oak Hill Blvd.
Tyler, Texas 75703
Please join us in extending thanks to Randy for his distinguished service to Philmont and the PSA – and please help us locate the best possible person we can to succeed him in this important work.
John Murphy, President
The Philmont Staff Association
Are you a backpacker? Do you love the gear that gets you outside?
Lead associate needed for the Tooth of Time Traders at Philmont Scout Ranch’s award winning outdoor gear store. Must have an interest in backpacking and camping and familiarity with gear. A passion for customer service and working with young people are a must.
Salary plus benefits.
Please submit your resume to: [email protected] with subject line: “Resume”.
For more information, please call 575-376-2281 ext. 1144.